Protecting the environment is on everyone’s mind these days – even when it comes to barbecuing. You can’t go wrong with a cooker that has “green” as its middle name. The Big Green Egg can actually help you be a more environmentally responsible outdoor chef.
- The Big Green Egg can save precious natural resources. The space-age ceramics that are used in manufacturing the EGGare so durable that the cooker practically becomes a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. On the contrary, most popular-priced metal grills need replacing every three to four years. So, purchasing a ceramic Big Green Egg can actually result in fewer grills going into the waste stream and clogging up landfills. And, it reduces the amount of non-renewable raw materials used to make comparatively short-lived metal grills.
- The heavy walls of the Big Green Egg make it extremely fuel efficient. The cooker uses far less charcoal than other types of charcoal grills. And, any charcoal that remains in the base of the grill after cooking can be reused at the next cookout.
- The Big Green Egg uses all-natural lump charcoal for fuel, which contains no chemical or petroleum-based ingredients or artificial fillers or binders.
- Hardwood lump charcoal is made from unused log sections and recycled wood from lumber mills, furniture factories and other wood processors, diverting further waste material from landfills.
- The natural charcoal lights easily with an electric charcoal lighter or natural lighter cubes made from refined wax and sawdust. This eliminates the need for petroleum-based lighter fluids and the release of damaging volatile organic compounds (VOCs). In addition, the sawdust is another recycled product diverted from landfills.
- Hardwood lump charcoal produces minimal ash compared with regular charcoal briquettes in traditional charcoal grills. What little of the all-natural ash that does remain can be added to your home compost pile to create a rich soil amendment for the garden.
The Big Green Egg shows its true colors – green – in every sense of the word!
The EGGspander System
This is the EGGcessory that you’ve been waiting for! We’ve created the ultimate expansion system for an EGG that will allow you to unleash your full culinary creativity! The NEW Big Green Egg EGGspander System facilitates an extensive variety of multi-tier and multi-zone cooking setups – we count over 40! – to easily utilize the full versatility of the EGG. Available now for the Large EGG, other sizes to follow!
The Frame holds the interchangeable EGGcessories for over 40 different cooking setups.
There are three different frame options to choose from … you can start with one and add another later, or jump right in with the 5 Piece EGGspander Kit which includes all of the frame components.
For the most versatility the 5 Piece EGGspander Kit is recommended. This kit combines the 2-Piece Multi-Level Rack and the 1-Piece convEGGtor Basket and includes 2 Stainless Steel Half Grids for one complete cooking system. It is easily configured for multi-level direct and indirect cooking, direct “Cowboy style” lower rack cooking, and useful as a convEGGtor Basket.
The 2-Piece Multi-Level Rack is included in the 5 Piece EGGspander kit, but also available to purchase separately. This frame includes an elevated sliding cooking grid with 4 inch clearance for easy access, it reverses for low-level “Cowboy Style” grilling, and it is designed to connect to existing cooking grid. This rack is a starter component for the EGGspander System and it works with the 1 piece convEGGtor basket to complete the EGGspander system.
The third offering is the 1-Piece convEGGtor Basket, included in the 5 Piece EGGspander kit, but also available to purchase separately. Easily place or remove the convEGGtor from the EGG with this frame. It can also be used for multi-level direct and indirect cooking, as well as raised grid cooking. This frame option is a starter component for the EGGspander system. For the full EGGspander system the 2 Piece Multi-Level Rack is recommended.
We have developed five Half Grid options so each side of the EGGspander can be performing a different task. For instance, you can have the Cast Iron Half Grid on one side and the Half Moon Baking stone on the other so you are simultaneously direct and indirect cooking at the same time. If more space is needed there is an option to combine two of the same half options for the full frame.
The EGGcessories are sold separately and are interchangeable depending on what is needed during your cook.
Stainless Steel Half Grids accommodate multi-tier and multi-zone cooking set-ups. Made with 304 stainless steel, these Grids will hold up to extreme temperatures and are dishwasher safe for easy clean up. Two Stainless Half Grids are included in the 5 Piece EGGspander Kit.
Perforated Half Grids – These handy grids allow heat and flavor to reach the food and make it easy to cook fish or small foods like mushrooms, asparagus, shrimp or scallops that might fall through the standard cooking grids. The half grid leaves half of your cooking space available for direct heat.
Half Moon Baking Stones – Turn your EGG into a fire brick oven, great for making breads, desserts and other baked items. When you add a Half Moon Baking Stone, you can cook indirect on one half of the EGG, while keeping the other half of the grid available for grilling meats or vegetables. The stones are made with Big Green Egg Ceramics and when two are paired it creates a no burn zone convection cooking.
Cast Iron Half Grids – For perfect sear marks on your food, utilize the superior heat conductivity of the dual-sided Cast Iron Grids as an alternative to the primary Stainless Cooking Grids. The cast iron gets very hot and retains the heat, turning it into a perfect searing surface. Flip the grid over for a flat searing surface for fish or seafood.
Half Plancha Griddles – The perfect tool for adding sear marks and a delicious flavor-packed crust to foods! Use in your EGG for everything from blackened chicken and seafood, to grilled vegetables and steakhouse-style seared steaks … and when cooking breakfast, use the flat side for eggs and pancakes, and the ridged side for bacon and sausage!
FIND A DEALER
How far can the Modular Nests take you?
The Big Green Egg new Modular Nest System allows you to use your full imagination to construct your ultimate outdoor kitchen. Versatile, with unparalleled innovation, the Modular Nests Systems allows for a fully customized setting for your EGG, and be added on to at any point if you want to expand your prep area or add additional EGGs to your grilling space. The Modular Nest System holds your EGG, allows for storage of your accessories and provides ample space to prepare your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Create the outdoor kitchen you desire designed around your Big Green Egg.
Modular Nest EGG Frames
First start with the EGG Frame; this section will hold your EGG. We have two sizes designed to fit the Large and the XL EGG. The EGG Frame is made of aluminum and steel and includes a stainless-steel grid insert and tool hook.
Modular Nest Expansion Frames
The Expansion Frames is where the creativity begins. You can connect as many EGG frames or Expansion Frames as you wish and arrange them in a U shape, L shape, or any shape you design. Imagine your ideal outdoor kitchen layout and you can accomplish it with the Modular Nest System … the options are endless!
Modular Nest Inserts
Modular Nest Inserts are the final touch to your new Modular Nest System. Four stylish finishes – Stainless Steel Grid, Solid Stainless Steel, Acacia Wood and Distressed Acacia Wood – will give your outdoor kitchen a distinctive look, and the inserts are crafted with the highest quality materials that will complement your EGG and hold up to outdoor use.
The totally customizable System is the perfect addition to your Ultimate Cooking Experience. To start building your outdoor kitchen one step at a time, visit your local authorized EGG dealer to see the new Modular Nest System.